Wednesday, July 12, 2017

The Start of Something Big

Several STEP exams have come and gone, two years of clinical rotations, and kid. It seems so crazy to sit back and consider where all I have been over the past few years. When we got back to the states, I studied for STEP 1 while Frances worked as a nanny. Once my score came back, we found out that we would be moving to California for my core clerkships. This was also when we found out that our son was on the way. Core Clerkships were hard but rewarding. I could not decide what I wanted to do as a specialty. However, I kept finding myself in the ER on every rotation, preferring it to call rooms and the library. Our son arrived just as I started Trauma Surgery. Needless to say it was a struggle for Frances. I do not know how she was so strong. After a brief period of flirting with the idea of pursuing surgery, I finally settled on what had already been in front of me since day one of clerkships, EM was my specialty. After rotations in California, NYC, Connecticut, Louisiana, and Nebraska I finally finished medical school and applied for the match. After a 6-month stint working again as a Paramedic after graduation, I finally began my dream of being a physician on July 1, 2017. I matched EM at UMMC in Jackson, MS in the class of 2020. Here is to the next big adventure in the long journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment